Sunday, October 9, 2011

2011 Chicago Marathon Race Report

This fall, my life's motto could be "it seemed like a good idea at the time." For some reason last year I thought it would be at least an o.k. idea to run back to back marathons 8 days apart.  Admittedly it wasn't my original plan, but it's how things worked out and so against all better judgment, I was going with it.


The week between the two marathons was brutal - crazy busy at work (I'm a CPA and dealing with the last big deadline of the year), crazy busy kids' schedules, social commitments, etc. all with post marathon soreness at a level I swear was the worst I'd ever experienced.  On top of it I was crabby because I hate to leave my family, so I was stressed over that.  I kept thinking that a sane person would not do this, what is wrong with me?? By the end of the week I came to grips with it all and reminded myself (over and over) that I alone got myself into this and I was going to make the best of it.


The plan for Chicago was (1) not think about it until after St. George and (2) "phone it in." I would try to run as comfortably as possible and enjoy the experience. For me this should be something in the high 3:40s, a slightly faster pace than my long training run pace.  Once I got through St. George I knew there was no way I was going all the way to Chicago to not put everything out there - I have more respect for the event than that. Plus, I owed it to my husband and kids for all the nonsense they put up with from me.

My co-worker Brian was also running, it would be his first marathon. We worked most of the day Friday then shared a cab to the airport. He was excited, I was trying to be. With slight trepidation but feeling more comfortable every minute, I headed off to Chicago. I would only be there for two days so I had just about every minute of each day filled with either socializing with friends and family or running the race.  Lucky us, the city rolled out perfect weather for the weekend.


at the expo
I had a good sleep on Friday then headed to the expo late Saturday morning. They had walls with all the participant names and I found that there was another "Bonaccorsi" running the race. I have no idea who he is, but that's exciting, there aren't that many of us in the U.S. I spent time walking around with my brother-in-law Alex, who ran last year but had to bail on this year. He gave me a great tour of the immediate area and I would have liked to do more, but there just wasn't enough time.



I had dinner with my old friend Michael and after chatting for hours I tried to settle in and get to sleep. For some reason I was super keyed up and nervous. I know that night before a race means virtually nothing in the scheme of things so I always get a full night of sleep the night before the night before. I wasn't that worried about the lack of sleep but I was concerned about my state of mind. I wasn't supposed to be nervous, this was supposed to be fun damnit! I finally fell asleep then woke up continually all night. At around 2:30 I noticed the battery on my watch had died. That was supposed to be my alarm, thank goodness I woke up and saw it, or it's possible I would have overslept! I set the alarm on my phone and cat napped until 5:30.  Note to self, set a backup alarm next time. What a stressful night!


I will admit I was skeptical that a marathon as large as Chicago could pull off an organized start process., especially without wave starts. I am happy to report that I was proven wrong.  I was in a seeded start corral so I was right near the start line, but from everything I saw, it was well organized.  One thing they could improve on is the number of porta-potties. The lines were crazy long so I didn't even bother trying to empty my tank. Luckily I assumed this would be an issue so I stopped drinking farily early and figured I'd worry about bathroom issues later.


I got into my start corral and sat down with the 3:40 pace group.  They had about about six runners ready with their little signs. I thought about what my plan would be. It was hot already - low 60s so I knew I would be needing to drink and cool off at every aid station. Not losing sight of the pace group would be crucial because I knew that being only a block or two behind could mean I would lose them for good. My plan - I would blow through aid stations as quickly as possible while sucking the energy from the group for 20 miles then pick it up for the last 10k and finish under 3:40.


After a somewhat over the top but very nice rendition of The National Anthem we were off!  During the first mile I checked my garmin to see if we were at pace and noticed that it hadn't actually started. Most likely I held the start button a touch too long and it never started. It's.always.something.  I hate when my timer is off. I start it up and will myself to just let it go. I'm with the pace group so I don't need the watch nor waste energy doing math.  O.k. My head is back in. With less than 2 miles down I notice I am sweating and my cheeks are hot.  My breathing was definitely a higher rate than it should be at this pace and this early in the race.  Not a good sign so I'm thinking I really can't predict how this whole thing is going to pan out. I note that other than a little pain in my left knee my muscles feel o.k.  Starting up at the front was a bonus, although it is crowded and you always have to be careful about someone crossing in front. Again, I am thinking how pleased I am with the race organizers. We cruise through these early miles and by mile six I am feeling great.  In fact, miles 6 through 9 seemed almost too easy. There was tail wind for sure and I was banking on head winds on the way back, anything to cool me off. Note, I never felt any head winds.

I love when a pic catches
both of my feet off the ground!
The miles ticked away quickly and somewhat uneventfully.  I mostly zoned out, never looked at my watch and focused on using as little energy as possible.  We passed through halfway dead on a 3:40 projected finish.  I started thinking a little about race strategy and I decided that I wanted to take a shot at 3:35 - so much for hanging with them til 20.  I had to do it soon or I would run out of race so at mile 14 I popped in front of the pace group. The plan was to inch away as comfortably as possible then make another move at 18 then another at 20.

Inching away would be the opperative word here.  At mile 16 I notice that I am still only a few feet ahead of the group.  Keeping it a little too comfortable I guess.  I drop back into the group again and figure 3:35 is looking to be out of reach. I'll regroup and pick it up again at 18. I just tried to take it all in, but it's really hard to remember details.  I think it was in the 16-18 miles that we pass my favorite part.  There was a big crowd out and they were blasting "YMCA" by the Village People.  Needless to say that when they got to the part where they sing "Y-M-C-A" I threw my hands up to make the letters, I would be impossible not to.  Everyone within earshot did it as well and it was a beautiful sight.  How American is that?


I continue on to mile 18 and decide it's time to make my "big move" again.  Adios pace group, I'm going for it!  It's pretty hot out there, the sun is relentless but I try to feel any breeze or spot of shade I can.  I keep my eyes peeled for anyone with a hose or open fire hydrant and take advantage.  Then, as I pop out of the mile 21 aid station what did I see? The 3:40 pace group. Again. They were right back with me.  I couldn't shake those jokers (except I didn't call them jokers in my head). I had to laugh at myself at how ridiculous this was and I was trying not to think about the possibility I would slow down even more before this was over. I only had five miles to go, I could not let 3:40 slip away from me.  I picked it up again - this time it's for real! I had recently read another runner's blog in which she wrote "I went to the well and the well was dry so I dug deeper." I was having one of those moments, I was not getting the results I wanted, I was going to have to dig deeper.  I also took a moment to reflect on the fact that I have been an athlete for the better part of 25 years.  In those years I have continually asked my body to push through limits, most times with little regard for how much my body might not want to play along.  In this moment I knew it was a blessing to have the opportunity to push once again. The heat is slowing me for sure, but my body feels relatively good. I suck down a gel with caffeine and my only focus is relentless forward progress; I am going to put as much space as possible between me and that pace group.

  
I truck along and as much as I don't want to, I need to check my watch every so often to see if I am below the pace group's 8:23 pace. I felt pretty slow, but I was mostly at 8:00s. I didn't even notice when I passed the mile 23 marker so I got one of those great moments where you realize you're farther along than you had thought. Those are the best! Inside the last mile I was running past a guy who kept looking behind us. I had been resisting the urge to look around for the pace group (no need to trip myself) so since he already was, I asked him if he saw the pace group. He looked back then said with a lovely French accent, "hmmmm, I'd say 30 seconds, you've got it!" I kept going and passed my brother-in-law Alex and Aunt Diane cheering for me. in the last half mile. I knew they might be there, but unfortunately I didn't know where and I never saw them. Alex shot a few seconds of video, it's the only video I have seen of myself running! With about 500m to go I make the last right turn and see what looks like a HUGE hill at the 400m mark. WTF? how could they do this to us? It was the steepest grade (possibly the only uphill grade) of the whole race, right there in the last quarter mile.  It was only 100-150m long so I could easily see the "crest" and power up. At 300m you make the last left turn to the finish line. It is here that I see the man who ended up dying. He is being attended to by medical personnel, but I am struck by the whole scene because it's the only time I saw someone who seemed to be in real trouble.  I steer clear and book it to the finish.  Unfortunately at this point I don't even know what my finish time was because my watch was screwed up but I knew I made it in before 3:40!

 3:38:59! One minute to spare!

Yay! What a great experience Chicago was.  It is a "mega-marathon" for sure, but it felt much more intimate than that.  Beside the great organization, a loop course that doesn't entail taking planes, trains and automobiles (and boats in the case of NYC) to get the starting line, really helps. Using the pace group was a great help too. I am so happy I ran with them and will use pace groups whenever I can in the future.

Ain't no rest for the wicked so after the race I hoofed it to the hotel to clean up and meet my cousin Dave. It was such a treat to see my younger cuz. We had a nice lunch and some sightseeing. Then I met Brian and his friend Jason for drinks in the lobby bar. Then off to meet Alex, Rich and Diane for dinner. Whew! What a trip! I need to get home to rest :o)


My goal for 2011 was to break 3:40 and I did it twice, and I learned a few things along the way; it's a very good feeling. Oh and I was the Bonaccorsi champion that day. I can't remember "Joe's" time but I think I was a good half hour faster than him. While it feels a little weird to be finished with my racing for 2011, it is sweet relief. I finished up my training cycle borderline overtrained and with tendonitis in both knees.  I got lucky in that I had just enough taper to take the edge off and be ready to race.  I've completed 11 marathons in 11 states - double digits! Four of those marathons were in the last 12 months (plus one 5k and 21 miles of a ragnar relay). It's time for a little break, but needless to say I'll be formulating my plan for 2012. Relentless forward progress...

No comments:

Post a Comment