Saturday, October 1, 2011

2011 St. George Marathon Race Report

I now understand the hype of the St. George marathon. There may be a faster course in the U.S., but I doubt it is a better race.  The downhill is such a positive experience, it would make the most recreational runner feel like they were flying. Beside the fast and beautiful course, the organizers really know how to put on this event.  It is fairly large at 7,500 runners, but with a very small town feel so you get the benefits of both worlds.

I flew through Las Vegas - Bleh, possibly my least favorite place in the U.S., but I'll refrain from ranting about that - and drove the scenic and fast 120-ish miles to St. George. Checked into a super friendly hotel, went to the expo, then settled in for a quiet night before the race.

Out of bed at 3:30. That's early even for me (luckily I was already well awake), but it's a point-to-point race starting way out in the boonies so they need to get everyone to the start line for a 6:45 start. It's a smaller version of Boston, everyone meets at a park in town and they use school buses to transport runner via the one road out to the start.  The start area is fairly typical although they usually have dozens of bonfires to keep people warm. The temperature was about 70 degrees so it was pretty warm and I never bothered to get near a fire. Knowing the day would be over 90 I was concerned about the heat, but I had prepared as much as possible - I was hydrated, I was wearing minimal clothes, and planned to carry very little on me. Still, I knew it would be a race against the clock in more ways than one.

Going into this race, I knew I would run a PR, I just didn't know by how much. My only concern was some knee trouble. My left knee was not happy with me for upping my miles in the last few weeks of training. I planned/hoped that I could use my quads enough to protect it as much as possible.  Based on training, I felt confident running with a sub 3:40 goal, but at some point the week before the race I thought that something faster would be acheivable on such a fast course. I targeted 3:35. I figured out an even pace (8:12s) then scribbled a few target distance/time goals on my forearm. I had 10, 13, 20 & 24 written out. I always plan to negative split with the general race plan being to stay patient for 13, comfortable until 16, then start reeling in the finish line.  For the time goals I just wanted to be in striking distance at the 10 and 13 mile marks, then gradually pick it up so that I would have cushion at 24. I wanted that cushion in case of a blow up in the last two. So just before the start I lined up somewhere between the 3:25 and 3:35 pace groups.

Off we go in the dark. Love the pre-dawn start as I always feel like the miles in the dark somehow don't count. As mentioned, there's only one road back to town. A house here or there, there is very little along this road until mile 7 then almost nothing again until 16 or so.  It is crowded, but since I started close to the front everyone was moving along nicely. It is somewhat surreal because there is nobody else out there except the runners (and helicopters!). Like a really big training run. Other than chatting runners, all you can hear are footsteps. I absolutely loved it.

So I stick to plan and try to keep the pace feeling ridiculously easy, the first few miles were 8:15ish then worked down to just under 8 by mile 6.  The course is somewhat rolling, but very gentle and net down for sure.  At some point the 3:35 pace group caught up to me so I ran with them.  The pacer was chatty and around mile 6 he mentioned that they had a 50 second cushion for the "Veyo Hill" and he expected they would give that all back. There were a few people around me talking about the hill and the hills to follow and I quickly realized I was coming into the hardest part of the course. The hill(s) although long, had grades were not much by Seattle standards.  The Veyo Hill is almost a one mile climb, but by this point in the race a nice grinder felt good. The Pace group slowed down and so I went a little ahead, using my perceived exertion as my pacer.  Now the water stations were coming up every 2 miles so I took advantage and drank gatorade and water at each plus dumped water on myself.  There was steady headwind that provided a cooling effect and I was thankful for it. Miles 8 through 13 were my slowest of the whole race because of the hills, the water stations and stopping for a potty break somewhere in there.  At mile 10 I was about 30 seconds over my goal time, at 13 I was about a minute over, so I felt good about where I was on the pace.  I was now behind the pace group, but I felt fine and with the dead straight course I could see them and knew that I would work myself back in a few miles.

By Mile 17 I was back with the group. My stomach was starting to bug me and feeling too full but I wasn't willing to stop adding fluids. I had only eaten 2 gels which is all I would eat during this race. It was just too hot to think about getting anything down.  At some point I asked the pacer if he knew where he was on chip time and he said he'd check it at 18.  He did and noted they were 1:15 ahead so he was going to slow down.  We were headed up a little hill and I felt great so I thanked him for his great pacer work and said I was moving on. Now I knew I just had to stay head of them and I would break 3:35.

It was around this point in the race that I started feeling fatigue set in to my quads. I knew it would happen and I was somewhat pleased that I got this far relatively pain free. Only 8 miles to go!!!  Of course as anyone who has run a marathon knows, you never want to get too far ahead of yourself, because you just never know if/when the wheels are going to fall off :o) It ain't over til it's over so I tried not to be over-confident in thinking there was only 8 to go. So I buckled down and kept grinding away at each step.

A few times I got a little too up in my head and wondered how hard I was going to be willing to fight for this, because it always comes down to a fight and it comes down to mental toughness. I have no delusions about my mental toughness, I can be as soft as anyone. Then thoughts of "how are you going to do this again next week in Chicago?" slipped in. I tried to stay in the moment and control any negative thoughts, focusing on my legs. They hurt in a way that felt like rowing and so I told myself it was "just" rowing pain and I know how to deal with it. So I kept pushing and would let things get numb until the terrain changed, either to an uphill, or flat or back to downhill, and the pain would come back.  O.k. nothing to do about it except relax, stay calm and keep the legs turning over.  I came up on mile 20, checked the time and saw I was a solid minute under goal time.

A large part of the middle of the marathon is in or next to Snow Canyon. An absolutely stunning place. I had hiked here 5+ years ago while pregnant with my 3rd daughter so I thought about her and what a great trip that was and used it as energy to reel in that finish line.  By mile 21 or so we reached the outskirts of town. A little more protected from the wind so I could really feel the heat. There were people out and cheering and I was slapping hands with little kids and wishing I could see my own :o(

By mile 23 we were now on mostly flat streets that after all that downhill, feel more like hills.  I just tried to stay focused, will away the pain, etc.  I knew that my last time check was at 24 and I wanted as much in the bank as possible.  By mile 24 I figured I was about 1:30 under. I'm somewhat dreading having to run these last two miles but I am happy with the cushion. Knowing that you can hit your goal even if you slow down can be a powerful motivator.  I knew I didn't have to sprint, but I had just enough fight in me to not want to lose any time.  It was a fight though and each quarter mile was getting harder and harder.  I get to the last mile which feels like forever of course. The last aid station had ziplock bags full of ice so I grabbed one and held it to my neck as I ran.  It wasn't a magic bullet, but it certainly felt good.  Miles 25 & 26 were 8:14 and 8:22 respectively - I was seriously slowing down! Finally I'm inside the last quarter mile and can see the finish line. I tried not to even look at it, but how can you not? My last quarter was a 7:55 pace and it couldn't come soon enough.

3:32:16! A PR by 12 minutes! I know that at least half of that is due to the course, so I am realistic about where I am.  I stood under the mister, got a popsicle, a coke w/ ice (love, love, love coca cola) and some fruit. I was seriously over-heated and sat down under a tree for some time before I felt steady enough to get up.
 
People often ask me what my favorite marathon is and I always say it's hard to pick.  Pikes Peak is the one I am most proud of, but they are all special in their own way. St. George is no different and I am thrilled that I was able to do it.  I've always said I plan to never repeat a marathon (except maybe the really special ones) because to some degree knowing that I only get one shot motivates me to prepare for and savor each one.

As I finish writing this it is three days later. I am still really sore, maybe the most I've ever felt after a marathon. At least my knees don't feel any worse. I am trying to get my head wrapped around running Chicago this weekend. My goal was to just phone it in, but how can I go all that way and not give it a shot? I think I'll ensconce myself in the 3:40 pace group and see how long I can hold on.
 

I saw a t-shirt while running, it was a crossfit shirt that said "it never gets easier but you get faster." So true.

No comments:

Post a Comment